Old August 22nd 04, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Lack of road markings in Kensington & Chelsea

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:30:33 +0100 someone who may be "PeterE"
wrote this:-

Relatively few roads have white lines along the side of the carriageway.
These are normally rural primary routes,

They are certainly seen more often on rural roads. Urban roads often
have pavements and the kerb stones act as a marking of the edge of
the road.

where the intention is to narrow
the apparent width of the road,

Incorrect. The intention is to mark the edge of the road. The main
aim of this is to encourage motorists to keep away from the edge of
the road and reduce damaging to the bank. Where there is a
substantial amount of tarmac the intention is much the same, only
the aim is to reduce the edge of the tarmac being crumbled. Both are
part of the speeding up the motorist agenda of decades of transport
policy.

Cycle lane markings are primarily intended to narrow the apparent
width of the road. However, again this is not to do with particular
laws.

Apart from dotted white centre lines, all other road lining is to encourage
adherence to road traffic law.

Incorrect. See above.

Personally I'd love roads without any signs or markings. I don't think you
would.

Don't try and get a job mind reading, you are not very good at it.
The idea of no signs or markings is a straw man, but I would remove
many road markings for the reasons discussed earlier in the thread.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.