Old August 23rd 04, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Charley_Ashbury Charley_Ashbury is offline

Default Buy tickets on the train?

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
Hypothetical question, because it very nearly happened to me, only my

train
was 5 minutes late, and I just about made it.

If I have queued for 15 minutes without being served due to there being

only
one person serving and some guy hogging the queue, and my train is about

depart, can I board that train there and then and still obtain the
discounted rail fare available with my railcard from the on train ticket
person?

No

But why shouldn't you be able to?

It could work the same way as buses. You can buy tickets either online (on
TransportDirect), at the train/bus station (in a large town/city), from a
QuickFare machine (at the platform/stop), or on the actual bus/train?

What matters is that the revenue is collected, and that customers are happy.
The rail industry (and public transport) does not do this, a factor in the
minds of millions of car drivers. I know of an individual who managed to
travel from West Yorkshire to Nottinghamshire without a ticket, on board
four different trains.

If banks/building societies only opened from Mon-Fri 9 until 5, and only
could be accessible to people at those times, should other people (who work
those hours) not be allowed to use them?

Charley