Old August 23rd 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe
Tim Challenger Tim Challenger is offline

Default Passport to Pimlico - 2004 version?

On 23 Aug 2004 10:59:15 GMT, Robin May wrote:

Annabel Smyth wrote the following in:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 at 11:35:34, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:50:08 +0100, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Is it me, or is there a major flaw in this: most people with a
right to British residence *won't carry* any such papers?

Passport? EU citizens still have to carry a passport with them at
all times (or a photocopy, at least) don't they? The same applies
for other foreigners. They should have some form of ID.

EU citizens usually have an ID card, so don't need their
passports.

My girlfriend (who is American) doesn't carry a passport or any
immigration papers. She does carry her American driving (or drivers as
they say) licence, which is a form of identification. But I don't see
why some form of ID is any use. All it does is prove that you are from
some other country, which is the reason they stopped you in the first
place. It doesn't show you're in the country legally.

It shows who you are, so they can then check up on you.
--
Tim C.