Old July 28th 03, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Dave is offline

Default Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

Neil Williams writes
It's a pity tickets will still need to be shown rather than a
much-needed increase in the penalty fare (I think 30 quid wouldn't be
unreasonable - at the very least) and spot inspections as on the
bendies.

'PassRight' was trialled a few years ago on the W7 (also later used to
trial cash-free boarding) and a few other routes in the area (41 & W3
spring to mind).

If you recall the style of bus widely used before LFBs were widespread,
there was a little metal barrier on the right hand side of the entrance
door, to make you walk next to the driver. During the PassRight trial
these were removed - so if you had a pass of any kind you could board
the bus on the right hand side and not need to show your pass.

I think the trial lasted for about 9 months. Nothing more has been
heard of it, so I an only assume that it wasn't deemed to be a success.

Surely, handing over a quid doesn't take that much longer than showing
a ticket and allowing the driver to read it - unless you're fumbling
for change, of course?

Well TfL's research doesn't think so. They're spending a lot of money
to install the ticket machines - and they reckon it cuts boarding times
by 10%.

It's also confusing that there are now 4 types of fare collection -
bendies, where it's buy before you board and no need to show tickets,
Routemasters, where you buy on board, normal buses where you buy before
you board but need to show your ticket on boarding, and "traditional"
pay-on-entry. It's also confusing that the same colour (yellow) is to
be used to represent both of the before-you-board types.

The yellow is merely to highlight that you need to have a ticket before
boarding. I don't find that confusing at all.

--
Dave