Old August 26th 04, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Passport to Pimlico - 2004 version?

In article , Roland
Perry writes
Except that the Home Office Immigration department has a list of
people who are in the country legally, so if you can reliably
establish someone's name, you can check it against that list.

I don't recall any scanning of EU passports at Waterloo last time I
came that way, and I don't think either Paris or Brussels did so
either. And I'm sure there was no scanning last time I used a ferry.

Very interesting, but in what way is that relevant to Americans being
legally entitled to live in the UK?

Nothing. The assertion was "if you can reliably establish someone's
name, you can check it against that list" "of people who are in the
country legally".

Even if IND know the name of every UK citizen (which I doubt), there are
still people legally in the country that they don't know about. And
possession of an EU passport doesn't show that they're here legally
either, even if you know who they are.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: