Old August 26th 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
gwr4090 gwr4090 is offline

Default New London floating cruise terminal

In article ,
James Penton wrote:

"LarryLard" wrote in message
om...

Hang on. Will they fit under the QE2 bridge? Possibly, since this was
designed deliberately high so as not to interfere with shipping. But
what about the Thames Barrier?

I think they can. I saw an item on IIRC BBC London news a couple of
weeks ago about the Thames pilots; they showed them guiding a liner up
towards Greenwich. It was that ship that people actually live on and
travel to different cities around the world, rather than just holidaying
on, can't remember the name off hand.

It did go through the Thames Barrier - looked quite tight though, must
need an incredible amount of skill to do. Very impressive.

I recall that the maximum width available at the Thames Barrier is the
same as the Panama Canal, and many (most ?) cruise ships are designed to
go through the Panama, so it should not be a serious restriction.

David