Old August 26th 04, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dr Ivan D. Reid Dr Ivan D. Reid is offline

Default OT - stars and planets

On 26 Aug 2004 22:36:57 GMT, Robin May
wrote in :
Last night I saw an extremely bright point of light in the sky. I'm in
London and this light was to the East. Could anyone help me to identify
it? It was really amazingly bright.

What time? Venus is generally the brightest but it stays relatively
close to the sun (obviously). There are websites out there that will
recreate the sky for you at a given position at a given time, but I don't
have a reference offhand. Was it staying fixed relative to the other
stars? If not, it was likely the International Space Station, which is
rather bright (I saw it a couple of times after dusk, waiting for a bus
in Whetstone) and will drop out of view in 5-15 minutes depending on the
sun angle.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN