Old August 27th 04, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dr Ivan D. Reid Dr Ivan D. Reid is offline

Default OT - stars and planets

fOn Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:57:41 +0100, Dr John Stockton
wrote in :
JRS: In article , dated Thu,
26 Aug 2004 22:36:57, seen in news:uk.transport.london, Robin May
posted :

Last night I saw an extremely bright point of light in the sky. I'm in
London and this light was to the East. Could anyone help me to identify
it? It was really amazingly bright.

For how long did you see it, and at what altitude was it?

If it was fairly low, it could well have been heading for Heathrow; I
often see them from here, with no apparent movement for a minute or so,
at a magnitude in the -5 to -10 region. They usually twinkle or jitter
a little.

That was my later thought. I also used to see bright lights in
the sky, waiting for a bus at Arnos Grove[1], and it took me a couple of
sightings (more realistically, the first significant wait for a bus!) to
realise they were moving. From here (Cowley) I often see a string of 5 or
6 spread out to the east when I walk home after dark.

[1] Obligatory ambiguous phrase yet again.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN