Old August 28th 04, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dr Ivan D. Reid Dr Ivan D. Reid is offline

Default UB8 to CR9

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:06:07 GMT, Richard J.
wrote in :
Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:
I have to travel to Croydon next week. tfl's Journey Planner's
best suggestion has me bussing to Uxbridge, Tube to Hillingdon, then
some mysterious express bus to Victoria, thence rail to East
Croydon.
A bit over two hours.

Poking around various maps I wondered about Piccadilly from Ux to
Earl's Court, District to Wimbledon, and Tram to Croydon. No idea
yet how long that would take.

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

The mysterious express bus from Hillingdon: if it says "OT", it's the
Oxford Tube (Stagecoach); if it says "X90" it's the Oxford Buses
service, now called Oxford Espress (sic). Between the two of them, it's
quite a frequent service, but you've got a longish walk from Victoria
Coach Station to the railway station.

Ah, OK, thanks, it was OT.

You haven't given the full postcodes, but I assume it's basically
Uxbridge to East Croydon. Putting that into the Journey Planner and
changing the walking speed to Fast (the default "Average" speed is quite
slow) gives a selection of routes of about 1:20 to 1:30 journey time:

Cowley, actually. I live near the Church so I have Us 1, 3, &5
to Uxbridge and 3 & 5 to W. Drayton, tho' it's not much longer to walk
to WD.

Met to Baker Street, Bakerloo to Oxford Circus, Victoria line to
Victoria, Southern to East Croydon

Met to Baker Street, Jubilee to London Bridge, Southern to East Croydon

Met to Hillingdon, express bus to Victoria, Southern to East Croydon

There's also (though the JP needed to be prompted to think about it):
Met to Farringdon, Thameslink to East Croydon

Ah, I was wondering if Thameslink went through there, all I'd
seen suggested trains from Victoria.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. If I get there on time I'll
no longer need a Work Permit next Weds night.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN