Old August 29th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Cooper Nick Cooper is offline

Default Bank bodies

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:39:36 GMT, "webmaster"
wrote:

This is an email I received the other day - seems a bit dubious to me. Any
ideas?

"Did you know that Bank station today is actually only part of Bank station?
Part of it was demolished by German bombs during the blitz in the 1940's
when trains were in the station.

No, it was largely people sheltering on the platforms, although
unfortunately for those blown onto the tracks, a train did pull in
seconds later....

They closed it off and sealed it up without taking the bodies out as it was
too dangerous to go in after them.

This would have been very difficult, considering that the fatalities
were on the current Central Line platforms, the escalators leading
down to them, and the ticket hall that is still in use today.

A distant relative of mine is believed to be buried there. She didn't return
home from work that night and was never seen again.

She must have been working late, as it happened at 19.59.

She always caught the train at Bank station. You may be able to find out
more from London Underground."

Robin has already referenced my page on 'The Underground at War' but
it's worth mentioning that I have now done a "Casualty & Fatality
Analysis" on the Bank bombing - amongst others - which seeks to
reconcile the various published casualty figures:

http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...wcafa.htm#bank

This includes the names of the 56 dead (both killed in situ or died in
hospital later).
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk