Old August 29th 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Sink estates (was London's traffic problems solved)

"Jeremy Parker" wrote in message
"John Rowland" wrote

IMO every sink estate should be opened up to traffic,

They are doing just that, apparently, here in the
London borough of Barnet, on the Grahame Park
estate, in Colindale, on the site of the old Hendon
Aerodrome. I don't know how sinkish it is, but the
fact that it is being "regenerated" probably says something.

In 1979 or so I explored the entire bus network of London, and came to the
conclusion that Quakers Course in Grahame Park was the No 1 worst place in
London.

The sort of regeneration you are describing is a much more expensive and
disruptive process that involves demolishing all of the large blocks of
flats and replacing them with houses and small blocks of 6 flats or so, with
lots of new dead end roads. This is being done on the periphery of the GP
estate and will presumably spread to the core. I don't know how successful
it will be in the long term - a resident of the similar new estate built on
the site of the old Lordship Lane Lido in Tottenham told me "it was
beautiful when we moved in, but it's heartbreaking to see what some of the
residents have done to it."

Incidentally, I recently noticed that the regeneration of the Taylors Lane
area of Harlesden has involved removing the entire road network of recent
years and reinstating the road positions and road names which existed in the
1950s. Smegging nanobots!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped