Old August 30th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonn Elledge Jonn Elledge is offline

Default Sink estates (was London's traffic problems solved)

"Robin May" wrote in message
"John Rowland" wrote the
following in:

The sort of regeneration you are describing is a much more
expensive and disruptive process that involves demolishing all of
the large blocks of flats and replacing them with houses and small
blocks of 6 flats or so, with lots of new dead end roads. This is
being done on the periphery of the GP estate and will presumably
spread to the core. I don't know how successful it will be in the
long term - a resident of the similar new estate built on the site
of the old Lordship Lane Lido in Tottenham told me "it was
beautiful when we moved in, but it's heartbreaking to see what
some of the residents have done to it."

I have a friend who lives in an estate in Bow that is being threatened
with the same kind of treatment. His view is that it's stupid because
they'll do up the houses and knock down the tower blocks, then move the
same people back in. They'll treat it exactly as they treated it before
it was done up and it'll soon end up exactly as it always was.

Not necessarily - have you ever seen the North Peckham estate? By all
accounts five years ago it was a complete no go area. Now it's fairly neat
and well looked after low rise housing. If you give people something to take
pride in, they will.

Jonn