Old September 2nd 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Allan Allan is offline

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Chris Davies wrote:
snip
A bike and rider that weighs 230 lbs (heavy for a bike and rider) can turn
or stop a lot more easily than a lorry that weighs 15000 lbs (a very
small, light lorry). If you were driving one and a cyclist ran into the
back of it you probably wouldn't notice if you couldn't see them in your
mirror. You have to watch out for lorries, buses and other working
drivers, and get out of their way as soon as it's safe to do so. Don't
shout at them, it won't help you and it isn't fair to them. They're trying
to make a living.

snip
Chris

I would agree that as a cyclist you have to watch out for buses etc. it
is however true that some bus drivers etc do not look out for cyclists.
This last Saturday I was stopped at light when a bus pulled up behind
me. When the lights change the bus driver pulled out and over took with
reasonable room, unfortunatly he then started to both pull in and brake
to stop at a bus stop ( he was pulling up short to the stop as there was
a bus already stopped at the stop )just as his rear wheel was level with
me. I had to brake hard too avoid being the filling in a kerb/bus
sandwich. As I passed the drivers window I pointed out what he had done
( surprisingly without expletives) then carried on my way.A little way
further on ( before the next bus stop ) I became aware that the bus was
not overtaking me, I looked round and saw the bus behind me and the
driver appeared to be indicating for me to pull over at the next stop.
He then passed me with the passenger door open and started shouting that
I "was an idiot and should not be on the road". He had to stop at the
next bus stop but shouted out of his window as I passed (could not make
that out). He over took me again, again with his door open shouting
something along the lines of " if your not on/a bus you should not be on
the road" and that " I should be on a cycle lane and not on the road" (
the fact that he had never noticed that there are total of 20yrds of
cycle lane on the 3 miles of this road is worrying)At this point all I
shouted back to him was I was reporting him and read out his bus ID
number . I then stopped and took down his license plate number as he
continued on his way. I later reported his behavior to the police (
after I had cooled down)

Allan