Old September 2nd 04, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
James James is offline

Default LUL track gauge not the same as BR gauge?

(Boltar) wrote in message . com...
I was reading a book by Brian Hardy about the tube trains on the Isle of
Wight and he states that the LUL track gauge is 4 foot 8.75 inches but the
BR gauge is 4 ft 8.5 and that this caused issues initially. Is this a true
statement (perhaps he was misinformed?) as it seems amazing to me and if it
is does it cause any operational issues on shared tracks such as on the
Bakerloo and Met?

B2003

Regular 4'8½" gauge track actually varies in gauge between 4'8¼" and
4'8¾" depending on track curvature. If you think about it, this
difference of half an inch between minimum and maximum is actually a
quarter inch on either side - a wholly insignificant amount. If stock
which has wheels ¼" further apart tries to run on such rails, there
are likely to be no problems, although they may end up riding on the
wheel-flanges. As to whether that statement is true, I have no idea.