Old September 2nd 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Emission Free bus on Route 25

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:14:49 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gunnar_Th=F6le?=
wrote:

I pointed that out to the bus company and the response i got was like
"Yes, we know. We are planning to display the next stop on the video
screen like on the Underground". (On the underground you can watch an
information and commercials programme that is interrupted for a few
seconds to show the next stop name which i hate because you have to look
at the damned thing all the time if you want to catch the name of the
next stop)

I always thought the U-Bahn screens were a nice touch, because when
the next stop is displayed, a picture of the station or its
surroundings are also displayed. Admittedly, however, it's not
visible all the time - but it's more than was provided on the older
U-Bahn stock (is any of that still in service?) and it's more than is
provided on most UK underground/metro stock.

Admittedly, with bus stops closer together[1], there'd be less time
for such things on a bus.

[1] That said, bus stops in Germany are typically *much* further apart
than they typically are in the UK - certainly in Hamburg.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain