Old September 2nd 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Chris Davies Chris Davies is offline

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:43:38 +0100, Paul Weaver wrote:

Good for them, if they insist of breaking the law while doing that then
they
should get a job where they cant endanger others.

But do bear in mind what I said in my last post. A lot of practises are
institutionalised. To give an example, most couriers get paid by the
number of drops they make. If any driver consistently took longer to make
a journey than the rest of his colleagues, he would in all likelihood lose
his job. Believe me, driving agressively would become second nature to you
if you were working under those conditions. You aren't thinking about it,
you're just doing it.

Also, you need to understand by doing what you want to do you are doing
all other cyclists a disservice. Do you really think that shouting at a
driver or trying to get him disciplined or even fired is going to make him
behave better towards other cyclists? Will it buggery.

What's the difference between a bus driver and a car driver, except a bus
driver should know better?

IME there is a world of difference between a 17 year old driver in a hot
hatch and a bus driver. Teenagers are famed for having a very unrealistic
view of their mortality (look at the number killed walking across roads).
Add to that an intoxicating sense of power that the car gives many new
drivers and the fact that an inexperienced driver will have less actual
driving ability than someone who has driven a bus (a vehicle 20 times the
size of a small car) 8 hours a day for the last 20 years, and I would
certainly say the two are different.

So I stick with what I said yesterday. In this case I personally think you
are in the right, but all the same let it go. It isn't doing anyone any
good.
--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me