Old September 3rd 04, 08:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default LUL track gauge not the same as BR gauge?

(Nick Leverton) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Boltar wrote:
I was reading a book by Brian Hardy about the tube trains on the Isle of
Wight and he states that the LUL track gauge is 4 foot 8.75 inches but the
BR gauge is 4 ft 8.5 and that this caused issues initially.

The issue I read of, I don't know how far true though, was that the
Standard stock's hardened steel tyres wore the rails down excessivly
fast when they first went to the IoW.

Perhaps he got the wrong end of the stick. It seemed a bit strange to me
that the gauges would be different even if only by .25 inch.

B2003