Old September 3rd 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In article , John Rowland
wrote:
This is why bus lane cameras should only be fitted to the front
of buses and manually operated by the driver - because if your
brief foray into a bus lane doesn't hold a bus up, you shouldn't
be penalised.

I disagree. There are several places round here where you can come up
to a junction and want to turn left, but you have a bus lane to your
left as you approach. Cars who breach the bus lane make it harder at
best and dangerous at worst for those who follow the restriction.

There's also the consideration that where you have one or two lanes +
bus lane leading up to a flow limited junction those who are using
the bus lane are invariably doing so to queue jump. Thus their
pushing in may mean that those who are law abiding have to wait for
the next green light. Case for an ASBO!

In short I'd enforce bus lanes far more rigourously than minor speed
excesses, with the caveat that the signing on many of them needs
improving. Except that it would probably cost too much, I would mark
them with runway style lane lights which were on when the lane was in
operation.

--
Tony Bryer