Old September 3rd 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall Tim Hall is offline

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 00:31:57 +0100, Chris Davies
wrote:

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 19:34:15 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 19:25:27 on Wed, 1 Sep
2004, dwb remarked:
I'm a bit confused, what exactly was the bus doing wrong?

Sounds like it was stopped in a mandatory bike lane. A very common
offence.

Something similar happened to me this morning on my way to work.
A fella in a van was dropping what looked like his wife off. He pulled
into the bike(only) lane, then opened his drivers door as I rode past. I
swerved out, narrowly missing his door. Didn't say anything to him, just
went to work. Really, what good would it have done, other than making me
momentarily feel better? It wouldn't have given him a nice image of
cyclists, which ultimately is what we all want.

And another almost related....

I was walking into town yesterday. The pavement has a magic white
line down the middle of it and bicycle symbols on the outer half. The
road has double yellow lines.

So, 7.5T white van knowing it is BAD to park where forbidden (eg
double yellow lines) pulls onto the cycle lane portion of the
pavement, square on, all four wheels. I mean there's no sign to say he
can't so he must be allowed surely. He then gets out of cab, and opens
the near side side door so he can access the pile of mouldering tat he
has to deliver. The open door is _exactly_ the width of the remaining
pavement, blocking it completely. What am I to do? Walking in the A23
didn't appeal, so I walked on the pavement, moving the door to clear
my way. An extra nudge and it closed. I do hope he had a handle on
the inside otherwise he'll be there still.

Tim