Old September 3rd 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default East London Line Extension (Who's gonna control it?)

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:45:48 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Christine" wrote in message
.. .

With the majority of the East London Line running
on Network Rail metals, would it not be prudent to
hand over the control of the line to Network Rail?

I am pretty sure that will happen. It will become part of the Orbirail
franchise, along with the North London and West London lines, and probably
the Goblin as well.

Actually I disagree with this. I think it will be a franchise sanctioned
by the DfT but controlled and awarded by TfL's Rail division. The
abolition of the SRA gets rid of a significant vested interest that was
always going to marginalise the TfL role. The ELLX going to TfL is part
of Ken's reward for winnng the mayoralty for the Labour Party.

I suspect the DLR form of franchise operation and also the schemes used
to build the network extensions will form the basis of future rail
schemes put forward by TfL Rail. If they can get those deals to work
then expect to see changes to the structure of all franchises serving
London as Ken is given more control of the rail network - the openings
are there for the taking given recent government announcements.

I think Network Rail will simply be told to co-operate to make it happen
as quickly as possible.
--
Paul C