Old September 4th 04, 02:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Chris Davies Chris Davies is offline

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:44:29 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

No. We're not given a choice - we have no way of knowing if a delivery
company had law-abiding drivers or not, so we never have the chance to
pay
more for safety.

What this is really about is that the costs of breaking the law aren't
internalised; the drivers' illegal actions cost time, money and lives,
but
the costs are borne by other road users, the state, and cyclists and
pedestrians. If the costs could be transferred to the delivery companies,
then it would be in their economic interests to have good drivers. This
is
well nigh impossible to do perfectly, but covering the country in smart
CCTV with automatic fines for any traffic offence would be a start.

tom

You said "well nigh impossible to do perfectly" yourself, Tom. I would
love to see measures like this come into place, but I know it will not
happen.

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me