Old September 4th 04, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Sad day for London and farewell to faithful friends

Solar Penguin wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 4 Sep 2004:

--- "Mait001" wrote...

Today, for those of you that don't know it, sees the largest withdrawal of
Routemaster buses from London since the current withdrawals began last

year:
from tomorrow, Routemasters will be no more on routes 9, 73 and 390.

That's a "sad day"? Why???: It sounds more like a cause for celebration.
Those crappy old buses will finally be gone, and we'll have ones that are
actually tall enough for people to stand up in!

But we no longer have conductors to help disabled people get on and off,
to tell us when our stop is, and generally to keep the buses free of
unpleasantness. Granted, you have to fold your baby-buggy if you wish
to use them, but many conductors are very helpful about doing this for
you, and stowing it in the designated place. Granted, too, that some
conductors are less than helpful, but they are a minority.

As for cramped - you obviously don't have to travel on tiny buses like
the P5 or the 322....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/