Old September 4th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default West London Tram Proposal

In message , James
writes
The thing which bothers me about all this is that while you can make a lot
of theoretical arguments about the performance of high-quality bus routes
(using large, modern vehicles, fitted out with good furniture, exclusively
using prioritised bus lanes and busways, with relatively infrequent and
posh-looking stops and well-trained drivers - basically, a bus that looks
like a tram; what Clive calls Rapid Transit on Rubber Tyres), nobody's
really tried it, so there isn't any hard data. However, should the
Greenwich Waterfront Transit plan go ahead as it stands, we'll have
exactly that on our own doorstep, and we'll find out at last!

Ever come across the Silver Lie in Boston, MA?

Yes, and in my opinion is no better than your average bus service. It's
still subject to (quite severe) traffic delays and at the end of the day
is just a bus painted silver.