Old September 5th 04, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
JNugent JNugent is offline

Default Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

John Rowland wrote:

"Brimstone" wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote:

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate,
North London, are no-entry signs with text
beneath reading "No Entry Except From East".
I don't see how anyone could be successfully
prosecuted for doing a right turn here.

Agreed that it would be easier for all concerned if TPTB
erected appropriate signs but why does everything have
to gave a law requiring people to behave in a certain
fashion or possess a specific item of knowledge?

Huh?

I think he is asking why - even without a formal and appropriately-signed
ban - drivers cannot enter into the spirit of the "request" and refrain from
making the maneouvre the authorities clearly frown on.

Are you seriously suggesting that most people don't
know which compass direction a road lies along?

Yes! Even if you did know, you could easily deny it. Many cars do the
right turn here.

Over thirty years ago, there used to be similar signs in Camden Town,
"banning" traffic heading north along the A400 towards Kentish Town from
turning right into several side-streets. They may still be there.

---