Old September 5th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

Joanne wrote:
In article , John Rowland
says...

Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are
no-entry signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From
East". In effect they are saying that you can do a left-turn
into South Grove but you can't do a right-turn into it.

Is there such a sign in the highway code? IIRC the rules are
slightly more complex and the HC is not the definitive guide,
and "temporary" signs are allowed for a testing period.

Having said that it is taking the **** to expect people to
follow a sign that's not in the HC..

The Highway Code does show the no-entry sign, and has a general comment
"plates below signs qualify their message". Anyway, the HC shows "many
of the signs commonly in use", but not all of them.

In my experience, no-entry signs like these are generally angled towards
the prohibited direction, and from a distance are rather more
immediately obvious in their intent than no-right-turn signs. This is
because people see the no-entry sign before they are close enough to
read the words.
--
Richard J.