Old September 5th 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Joanne Joanne is offline

Default Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In article , Brimstone says...

Joanne wrote:
In article , John Rowland
says...

Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are
no-entry
signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From East". In
effect they are saying that you can do a left-turn into South Grove
but you can't do a right-turn into it.

Is there such a sign in the highway code? IIRC the rules are slightly
more complex and the HC is not the definitive guide, and "temporary"
signs are allowed for a testing period.

Having said that it is taking the **** to expect people to follow a
sign that's not in the HC..

Why? As long as ots meaning and intention are plain why can't people be
expected to comply?

2 points

(1) What's the point if having a HC if local authorities can go round sticking
up any old sign? In general signs such be graphic and follow international
rules. It can be difficult to read qualifying text under a sign (we do have to
look out for other road users too) and also what about foreign drivers?

(2) I would assume fact a sign has some sort of legal status gives it protection
against being copied. In the extreme you'd never know if a sign was put up by
appropriate authorties or if any tom, dick or harry had stuck it there.