Old September 5th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Chris Chris is offline

Default Validity of +Any Permnitted during engineering works

Hi,

Bought a saver return ticket to Putney yesterday. Was told the usual stuff
"Platform 2 for the fast trains to London once you get to Peterborough...
theres no engineering works today or tomorrow"

Travelled there via Peterborough, KX & Vauxhall

Coming back today I got to Putney station to find it closed due to "planned
engineering works". The replacement bus was heaving and couldn't take
everyone + I had heard the district line was closed somewhere. Not wanting
to risk walking to East Putney and it be closed, I decided to pay to go on a
number 14 bus to South Kensington and then get the piccidilly line to KX. I
wasn't too bothered about the bus fare + extra time taken and assumed that
since my ticket would have been valid for a train + a tube to get to KX it
must be valid from South Kensington to KX.

Got to SK and checked with a member of staff who said he didn't think so
because my ticket is only valid between the two stations. Said I was on my
way to the destination but the origination station was closed but he was
adamant that the + didn't mean anything and called a colleague over. He
said "oh why not" and let me in.

What should officially have happened? + I would rather not be made to feel
(as a paying customer) that I am being let on as a favour.

Chris