Old September 5th 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Jackman David Jackman is offline

Default Sad day for London and farewell to faithful friends

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in
:

(Neil Williams)typed

2) Modern deckers are designed for lower-deck crush loading. This
meant a substantial reduction in capacity, people being forced to go
upstairs for short journeys when they'd rather stand in the wheelchair
space, and annoyed passengers being left behind at stops when they'd
otherwise have fitted on.

Really?
I've been left behind at bus stops when I've seen loads of empty seats
upstairs but downstairs is crush overloaded. People don't go upstairs
enough.

I think this varies a lot by route, with far more (longer distance?)
passengers going upstairs than ever used to be the case. I have boarded
Westbound 8's around St. Pauls where the lower deck has been pretty lightly
loaded (maybe half a dozen people) but the upper deck was more than half
full!