Old September 6th 04, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Mike Cawood, HND BIT Mike Cawood, HND BIT is offline

Default Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are

no-entry
signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From East". In effect

they
are saying that you can do a left-turn into South Grove but you can't

do a
right-turn into it. There are none of the normal right-turn-banned

signs at
all. Since drivers are not legally required to carry a compass or know

the
direction in which they are travelling at a particular moment, I don't

see
how anyone could be successfully prosecuted for doing a right turn

here. I
also don't see why they didn't just mount a right-turn-banned sign.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

I believe that all new road signs must be EU approved and one bearing
the legend "No Entry Except From East" would not be EU approved, so the
sign is in fact illegal and has no compulsion.
Regards Mike.

---