Old July 30th 03, 04:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

San Francisco still runs cable cars. They have tiny capacity, are
hugely inflexible, require crew operation and are wholly inaccessible
to wheelchair users.

And they only have one speed, which is 9.5 mph.

not only are they are still operated, in fact, they are building 'new'
ones, because they are a tourist draw and a part of the city's heritage.

Actually, the city doesn't have a choice. They're Listed, so to speak:
the cable car system was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1964.
Of course the part about "tourist draw and city's heritage" is perfectly
true as well.

incidentally, a cash fare on a SF cable car is about double that of a
normal bus tram or troley bus. no-one complains.

Yes, well, I remember when it wasn't. :-( But the last time I was there,
they were overcrowded even with the extra fare, so it seems fair enough.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Unjutsly malinged? I think not."
-- Ross Howard