Old September 9th 04, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Martin Rich Martin Rich is offline

Default Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 23:27:11 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are no-entry
signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From East". In effect they
are saying that you can do a left-turn into South Grove but you can't do a
right-turn into it. There are none of the normal right-turn-banned signs at
all. Since drivers are not legally required to carry a compass or know the
direction in which they are travelling at a particular moment, I don't see
how anyone could be successfully prosecuted for doing a right turn here. I
also don't see why they didn't just mount a right-turn-banned sign.

I checked yesterday when Iwas in Highgate, and there *is* a
no-right-turn sign in Highgate High Street on the approach, from the
west, to the junction with South Grove. It's a little further from
the junction than one would expect a no-right-turn sign to be- closer
to Southwood Road than to South Grove.

Martin