Old September 10th 04, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Front seatbelt wearing

Tom Anderson wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 9 Sep 2004:

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Piccadilly Pilot wrote:

Martin J wrote:

What's the explanation given for not wearing a seatbelt, which in
London for drivers would be lucky to get much above 50%? Are some
people lulled into a false sense of safety because of air bags? Or is
it because they don't understand Isaac Newton's laws of motion and
therefore they don't apply to them?

Perhaps they recognise that the best way to avoid death and injury is to
avoid the collision in the first place and drive defensively.

Also, AIUI, belts are really only important in high-speed accidents;
nothing high-speed is likely to happen in London traffic.

All the same, I'd rather not be knocked unconscious by head striking
windscreen - or, worse, killed by heavy body landing on me from behind,
even at 25 mph. One reason why I won't stand on buses if I can help it
- I've seen people get very nasty bangs when the driver has had to brake
sharply.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/