Old September 10th 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Colin McKenzie wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

The safest way to achieve this would be to put in a traffic island 1
metre from the kerb, and have No Entry signs on the large entrance,
and Cycle Only signs on the small entrance.

May I introduce you to some junctions in my ward which lack the odd
spare metre you seem to be thinking of?

You don't have to have a contraflow cycle lane, and you can use 'no
motor vehicles' instead of 'no entry'. See Traffic Advisory Leaflet
06/98.

With this signing you can also have a contraflow lane without the
splitter island. But I'm convinced the way ahead is to persuade the
DfT to modify it's view about no entry except cycles.

Do they say why they don't like that possibility? Perhaps they believe
it's not safe to have such a lane.

Roland half refers to the reason. "No entry" signs are better respected
than "No motor vehicles" signs because so many of the latter have
exception plates that too many motorists assume the exceptions include
them. Why bus exceptions are OK and cycles not, you'll have to ask the
DfT.

--
Colin Rosenstiel