Old September 11th 04, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Taxi complaint - how do I make one?

In message , David FitzGerald
writes
I just got home late from work - got a taxi back. My work will always refund
me for a taxi receipt - but in this case the driver (Black cab number 86423)
refused to give me a receipt ("I've none left mate") and after me asking him
to write something on a blank piece of paper, anything - drove off knocking
my head off his open window (while I was talking to him).

There is no legal requirement for a taxi driver to provide a receipt for
a taxi journey. Did you give the driver a tip? If not then it's quite
possible that the driver won't give a receipt as this costs him money
and he *may* have got a little upset at someone using his time without
payment. As you are getting the money back it won't cost you anything to
give him something extra.

So now I am left to falsify a receipt (I've got plenty of blank ones) in
order to get my money back - not something I want to do.

If you've got blank receipts you could take these with you, fill it in
yourself and then ask the driver to sign it. There is, however, no legal
requirement for him to do so.

Personally, if I am 'legalled' (no tip) and someone asks for a receipt I
will find the oldest bit of paper I've got and use that. I've also used
receipts which I've half filled out with wrong date, etc just crossed
out and written over the top. If these look like someone (i.e. the
punter) has tried to alter or falsify a previous receipt then it's not
my problem. :-)

From January 2005 all London taxis presented for re-plating are required
to have meters with printers attached so that receipts can be printed
showing the amount on the meter. Trouble is no one has specified the
exact format that they must have. Will they only have to show the amount
on the meter, plus extras for Heathrow pickups / radio jobs, etc. Is
there going to be some method of adding gratuities to the receipt, etc.?

I do want to lodge a complaint against this driver. I have come across
drivers who have ran our of recipts before, but they have always written
*something* on a piece of paper for me rather than tell me to "**** off" as
this one did. What is the best way of soing this? The driver did not seem to
be affilited with any company (no logos anywhere).

Why is it that you seem to find so many drivers who've run out of
receipts. Try giving them something extra and see if that works - it
doesn't cost you anything personally as your work will refund it.

On the subject of tipping, why is it that most Australians *never* give
a tip, even after the driver has gone out of his way to be helpful? I've
taken someone from T4 to one of the hotels on the north side of the
airport. Lots of heavy luggage which nearly did my back in then they
waited for the 20p change from £15 for a £14.80 fare! I can control my
anger but there are times when you feel like letting rip, believe me.

This situation has got worse since TfL (or was it Ken?) decided in their
'wisdom' to get rid of the extras for extra passengers and for handling
luggage over 2ft in length. Why should someone risk injury handling
luggage when they can get exactly the same fare taking people with no
luggage?

I'm not excusing bad attitude by taxi drivers but there are times when
the 'travelling public' really make your blood boil - and you're
supposed tojust swallow it all the time.

Now if you want a taxi driver to take you to and from Gatwick or
Heathrow who will turn up at the promised time and will be dressed in
shirt and tie and not shorts and T shirt, and give you a receipt, let me
know - but it *may* cost you :-) (please note the smileys)

Mike

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England