Old September 12th 04, 12:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Taxi complaint - how do I make one?

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:18:09 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

I believe you'll find they have come from a culture that doesn't do
tipping, instead paying people for the job. I've had Kiwi colleagues who
have never tipped either.

Not just those from abroad; as I recently posted in
uk.transport.buses, I personally dislike the concept of financial
tipping, and would far rather that a fair, listed price was charged.
If that price is higher than that currently charged, fine - but I
don't see why a tip should be "expected" for normal service - I'd
consider it something I would give for *exceptional* service.

What I mean by that is that if the current level of taxi fares does
not provide a living wage for taxi drivers, they should be increased
so that they do. It should not be necessary for taxi drivers to live
off tips.

(Incidentally, I had a meal in a restaurant this evening with a large
group, and said restaurant had a policy of adding 10% "gratuity" for
such groups. I wasn't the organiser, so I didn't fuss - but had I had
anything to do with it, I would have been tempted to zero it; if it is
expected, it should be included in the listed prices.)

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain