Old September 12th 04, 04:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Usenet Usenet is offline

Default Taxi complaint - how do I make one?

In message , Mike Hughes
writes
There is no legal requirement for a taxi driver to provide a receipt
for a taxi journey.

Which is strange, as it would make them the only people trading who
refuse to issue a receipt. As someone suggests above, taxi journeys are
VAT-rated (although it might be 0%, it can still be VAT-rated) in which
case you should be automatically issuing receipts along with your
business name and address.

Did you give the driver a tip? If not then it's quite possible that the
driver won't give a receipt as this costs him money and he *may* have
got a little upset at someone using his time without payment. As you
are getting the money back it won't cost you anything to give him
something extra.

Ah - requesting payment for a receipt (or not supplying one unless
tipped). Now, that is an offence, although I'll have to dig deep into my
references to find the exact details.

Martin

PS Whenever I asked for a receipt from a taxi-driver, they usually
thrust a collection of unfilled receipts into my hand and made off with
a shouted "fill it out yourself". And let's face it, that care-free
attitude is what makes the taxi-drivers of London an individual breed:
their inability to carry an A-Z because they've passed the Knowledge so
know anywhere worth knowing, except where you want to go; the drivel
communicated to you throughout your drive, much of it bordering on
neo-fascism while most it is just from Planet Stupid; the reckless
driving, speeding and overtaking coupled with a complete disregard of
any other road-user or pedestrian.

--
Martin @ Strawberry Hill