Old September 12th 04, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Taxi complaint - how do I make one?

In message , Jeremy Parker
writes

Also amusing to pick up, if you are there, is the booklet about the
routes you have to know to pass the "knowledge of London"

I have an old one. Did I hear the Ken Livingstone changed, i.e.
relaxed, the requirements?

The number of 'suggested' routes that have to be learned has been
reduced from 400 to 320 which at first seems like it has been made
easier BUT The new routes now cover all the boroughs and several of the
overlaps in the previous system have been removed. In addition there is
now a requirement to pass a written test which includes a possibility of
any 5 maps from at least 640.

The blue book runs are only a framework. The knowledge student has to
learn far more. In fact because the knowledge examiners can now also be
cab drivers (previously they were not allowed to hold a badge *and* be
an examiner) they now find new 'points' (buildings, clubs, hotels,
restaurants, etc) quicker than the previous half-day out on the road.
This makes it more difficult for the students who must have a fully up
to date knowledge.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England