Old September 15th 04, 07:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Newt Dave Newt is offline

Default Route 73 - New service levels

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(david) wrote:

Around midday today (14 Sept) I spotted a convoy of *four* 73s
crawling down Gower Street. The first was completely packed out, the
following three practically empty. The drivers of the empty ones were
clearly looking to overtake but seemed unable to do so, thanks to
traffic levels and so on.

I hate to think of what goes on further down the line (particularly
the right turn from Bloomsbury onto New Oxford St. which seems to be
clogged up at the best of times).

Precisely. They're building a bus gate in Gower Street. Wouldn't they have
done better not to hatch off one lane just beyond those lights? When I was
on a (Routemaster) 73 the other day we couldn't get into the right turn
bus lane there because the entrance was blocked as a result of their only
being two traffic lanes at the entrance. :-(

Today's issue of the London By London mailing list
(
http://www.londonbylondon.co.uk) contained the following reader's
submission:

"Has anyone had amusing experiences on the new Bendy 73s? I was on my
way to Angel from Stoke Newington on Saturday and the driver actually
got off the bus somewhere a little way down Albion Road, screaming, "I'm
having a nightmare! I don't want to hit it! My heart is beating so fast!".

Poor guy! How much training did the drivers actually get before they
were let loose with those 18-metre monsters I wonder? That said, I
usually travel on two wheels and getting rid of the Routemasters means
that you don't get pedestrians jumping off in front of you without
looking.."