Old September 20th 04, 04:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Aidan Stanger Aidan Stanger is offline

Default Airport to Chatham

Paul Weaver wrote:

"Marty" wrote...
Hi all

Travelling from New Zealand to London later in the year, need to get to
Chatham upon arrival, and have the choice of flying to either Heathrow
or Gatwick. Gatwick arguably easier as just up to Victoria and out, but
probably more expensive than LUL from Heathrow Terminal 4 to Victoria
then surface rail. Time-wise looks about the same. Any thoughts? Any
cross-country way to get from Gatwick to Chatham avoiding going into town?

You're flying from the other side of the planet on an 18-24 hour flight
which likely costs £600+, and you're worried about saving 20 minutes and/or
£5?

Five years ago I flew KLM from Australia to Heathrow Terminal 4. At
Singapore I heard a boarding call for the QANTAS flight to Heathrow.
Despite my having to hang around Amsterdam airport for a couple of hours
while I changed planes, by the time I reached Heathrow T4 tube station
I'd caught up with several people from that flight. This was mainly due
to them saving cash by waiting until 0930 before they caught the
train...

So what time you get there is really just as important as what route you
take, if you take the train. I suspect there's also a bus alternative
BICBW.