Old September 21st 04, 01:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Marcus Fox Marcus Fox is offline

Default Airport to Chatham

"Roy Stilling" wrote in message
.. .
Marty wrote:

Travelling from New Zealand to London later in the year, need to get to
Chatham upon arrival, and have the choice of flying to either Heathrow
or Gatwick. Gatwick arguably easier as just up to Victoria and out, but
probably more expensive than LUL from Heathrow Terminal 4 to Victoria
then surface rail. Time-wise looks about the same. Any thoughts? Any
cross-country way to get from Gatwick to Chatham avoiding going into

town?

We live in Gillingham, next door to Chatham, and prefer Gatwick
because of the ease of the transfer at Victoria. In theory you can
travel Gatwick - Chatham via Redhill, Tonbridge, Paddock Wood and
Strood avoiding London altogether, but this would require changes at
all those places and would take ages.

If going via Gatwick you have a choice between the Gatwick Express,
which is non-stop to London, and the Southern local services, many of
which only stop once or twice between Gatwick and London. The local
trains cost 2/3 of the Gatwick Express fare. However, if you have
lots of luggage, you may find the Gatwick Express worth the extra
money as it has plenty of luggage space which the local trains don't.

Just buy a Standard Day Single via London and AFAIK you can use this on the
Gatwick Express. One thing I've found is some cheap tickets bought at
Victoria state "Not Gatwick Express". However, when travelling on a through
ticket, Gatwick Express staff had no problems with my tickets - Saver
Returns and Business Savers. I even had a Standard Day Single from
Dartford - Haywards Heath and I travelled on the Gatwick Express. Or maybe I
was just lucky?

Marcus