Old September 22nd 04, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Unenforced traffic ban on oxford street

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

The problem is that bus lane cameras are not billed as
"A solution to the problem of cars undertaking right-turners",
they are billed as "A solution to the problem of buses being
held up by traffic". Placing the camera where it will fine cars
undertaking right-turners is dishonest immoral taxation. I don't
see why bus lanes shouldn't be treated like box junctions -
no-one should be fined unless they actually stop in one.

Aside from the obvious problem of cars
getting trapped behind stopped buses

What's the problem? They went into a box junction without their exit being
clear. Prosecute them.

there's the problem of buses being held up by cars
moving at a crawl to avoid having to actually stop!

You're treating my suggestion too literally. If they are holding up a bus,
the camera on the bus would film them and they would be fined. The main
thing is that if you want to do a left turn a few hundred metres ahead, I
don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to use the bus lane. The current
implementation of the law does not match the expressed intention of the law.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped