Old September 22nd 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Zac Zac is offline

Default Thameslink Fare Evasion

My mate got apprehended by Fare Evasion officers this morning. Not sure

if
all the info is right as he is not at work yet.

He bought a ticket from Harpenden to London with a Young Persons

Discount
railcard. His Young persons had expired a couple of days ago. Not sure

if
he realised if it had or not.

Two men in suits with Thameslink ID's (Undercover RPI's) checked

tickets,
and said his ticket was invalid as YP was out of date. Would this
constitute fare evasion / another offence ?

He was chucked out at Kentish Town and questioned in "Special" room

where
they checked given name and address with the police, full questioning,
confiscation of tickets.
Then issued a document to say fine will be £40 - £1000 and will receive
letter in the next 3 weeks. If he wants to contest it, it will go to

court.

Any advice on the penalties etc ?

I will confirm all these points when I speak to my colleague.

Surely whoever sold him the ticket is at fault for not spotting the out of
date railcard.

Ticket was from a machine