Old September 23rd 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Pete_uk Pete_uk is offline

Default Technology for its own sake?

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
I read apparently that Southern had been having problems with its train

doors
not opening on stations north of the Thames because these hadn't been
programmed into the database that uses GPS to know where it is! Is it just

me
or is having some GPS controlled database system being used to open the
bloody doors just a teensy bit overkill?? Do they think the driver is
too stupid to know when he's at a station and might try to open them when

he's
bowling along at 60?? Sure have some sort of interlock that prevents them
opening when the train is moving but for gods sake , was this implemented

just
to keep some technicians in work? And what happens during an emergency?
What next , GPS controlled toilets that won't flush on certain parts of

the
network with live networked updates of the turd count at every section?!

No wonder money in the rail industry is in short supply if they're wasting
funds on stupid systems such as this. Someone tell me its not true...

B2003

When I read that I almost posted here asking what the point was. The worst
part is, a lot of the net technology cant be overridden by the guard if it
goes wrong. Crazy.