Old September 23rd 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
James Christie James Christie is offline

Default Technology for its own sake?

In message , James Christie
writes
In message , Tim
writes
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:57:55 +0000, Peter Masson wrote:

(Can GPS identify which line the train is on if adjoining
platforms are different lengths?)

Not with any certainty.

Of course, what happens if the Pentagon decided to turn off GPS for
civilian use without warning (which they've always stated they have the
right to do)?

Or worse, they have a war and introduce deliberate errors into the system
designed to confuse the enemy?

I can see it now on the 9:24 from Tonbridge: "We will shortly be arriving
at Copenhagen, please mind the step"

I know that Europe is going to deploy it's own GPS sats, but I don't know
when that will be.

Timbo

The European system is already being deployed, the first satellite is
already up (of course you need at least 4 for a good position),
forgotten the name of the system though..
The Russians have their own system called GLASNOSS and the Chinese have
also started sending up satellites so they have their own version as
well.

********, its GLONASS, I ALWAYS get that the wrong way round......
--
Regards,

James Christie

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very
angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams