Old July 30th 03, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
tim tim is offline

Default What's the LAW/RULING on TEA-BREAKS at WORK

"Gunjani" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone know the UK or EU working time law/byelaw/ruling/directive
on paid/unpaid teabreaks at one's workplace especially in the railway
industry.

transport workers are excempt (for a little bit longer)

I ask this because at my previuos employment we were entitled to a
morning & afternoon paid 10min tea-break and 1 hour unpaid lunch-break.

There is no entitlement to a paid break. All entitlements are to an unpaid
'rest' period which the employer must allow the employee to spend in
an environment away from the work place if they wish (so no having to
sit on the bus looking after it, rule allowed!)

But in the railway industry its reported that all employees are entitled
to 20 minutes unpaid break AFTER working for 6 hours... Is this true,
but more importantly acceptable?

20 minutes after six hours is the rule IIRC (whether I'd want to be on
a train/bus driven by somebody on this schedule is another matter
so I suspect we're talking about counter staff?

Tim
..

--
Many Thanks

Gunjani
Actual excuse notes teachers have recieved, part 5:
Carlos was absent yesterday because he was playing
football. He was hurt in the growing part.