Old September 24th 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Chimney on Kensington Gore

In message , Keith J
Chesworth writes
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:08:13 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes
Chris Woodhead wrote:
I appreciate I may not be in the right area of expertise to ask this
question, but can anybody shed any light on the history / origins
of the free-standing chimney on Kensington Gore. It's intrigued me
for a while now. I've posed this question on several messageboards
/ newsgroups but have as yet failed to receive a response.

I'd be grateful for any information.

If you mean the chimney next to and south-east of the Royal Albert Hall,
I think it's from the hall's boiler room. A Google search produced a
reference to a chimney and a photo at
http://www.unseenlondon.dns2go.com/r...rt/roofext.htm , but the
site seems to be down at present.

Now if that's the case I for one would be very interested as I've been
trying [1] to find out about the Albert Hall's heating for years [2].

When I was at school, I was taught that the Hall was heated by the
surplus heat from a nearby cold storage facility but I've never been
able to confirm/disprove this.

[1] Though not very hard!

[2] On reflection, this is *very* sad, isn't it?!

Four Balwin packaged steam boilers supply the heating. They were
renewed, say 5years ago

Thank you! Another bit of London's jigsaw added.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for