Old September 24th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Stansted to Barking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"LarryLard" wrote in message
om...

Looking at my London Connections map suggests there is a limited train
(as opposed to London Underground) service from Liverpool St direct to
Barking; I imagine this is a peak-hours-only service

No, it's a very-late-night-only service.

Yes, it's C2C LTS line trains, which run to Fenchurch Street in the day,
but use Liverpool Street at night. LTUC did a report on the possibility of
using Fenchurch Street all the time ('Which Street for Southend?'), and it
has an absolutely priceless observation:

4.9 Staff views

4.9.1 Passenger trains are run for the benefit of their users, not of
their staff, and the views of operating staff were not sought in the
course of this survey. Nevertheless, it is worth recording that LTUC's
surveyors were approached spontaneously by a number of c2c's train staff
at Fenchurch Street and of other train companies' station staff at
Liverpool Street. The train staff all expressed a strong preference for
Fenchurch Street, which they saw as their home territory (with the staff
amenities they regularly used) and as a less challenging route to operate.
The station staff also favoured the removal of c2c's trains from Liverpool
Street, as these trains were perceived to have a particularly challenging
clientele with whom it was necessary to cope.

I don't know if you've ever been at Liverpool Street while it's full of
Essex boys and girls on their way home after a night out, but
"particularly challenging" is a pretty good description!

ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

The most irritating thing is that there is easily room to relocate the
Tottenham Hale WAGN platforms south of Ferry Road, in which case they
would stretch pretty much all the way to the Goblin Line where (I think)
there is room to build platforms.

Where abouts are the Victoria Line platforms, though?

tom

--
We must perform a quirkafleeg