Old September 24th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Ken says yes to Crystal Palace tram extension

"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message

ICBWB I thought that one of the points of the Crystal
Palace extension was that it allows the Beckhenham
Junction-Crystal Palace service to remain, while trains
to Crystal Palace could be diverted to somewhere more
useful - Croydon, for example. So the frequency to London
should remain the same, but the frequency to Croydon
would increase.

The main point is that the Tramlink Beckenham single track section is a PITA
and Tramlink wants to take over the other track. Running trams between
Beckenham and CP is something they just have to do in order to get their
hands on the track. If the existing trains were that empty, the service
would just be closed, and Tramlink would get the second track they want more
cheaply. But if they are fairly empty (which matches my limited experience
of that branch), converting it to a tram should give cheaper running costs
than leaving it as is.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped