Old September 24th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Dr John Stockton Dr John Stockton is offline

Default Technology for its own sake?

JRS: In article , dated Thu, 23
Sep 2004 18:58:46, seen in news:uk.transport.london, James Christie
posted :

With difficulty, because GPS has an accuracy of +/- 100m, unless of
course you are using Differential GPS, but that is mainly a maritime
system.

Differential GPS with respect to a set on the platform (or station)
seems an obvious move - even deals properly with landslides.

But I believe that a platform is the only extended object which comes
that near to just under a train door; if so, use a pair of solid object
detectors below door level, one at each side of the doorway.

Sonar or radar could be used. ISTM likely that if a suitable
electromagnetic structure were fixed to platform edges (e.g. a
perforated metallic strip) then one might use resonant reflection, and
be platform-specific.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. / ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.