Old September 24th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Alan \(in Brussels\) Alan \(in Brussels\) is offline

Default Stansted to Barking

"Peter Smyth" a écrit dans le message de

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in

message

"Jiminy" a écrit dans le message de
Arriving at Stansted Airport, suppose I'll take the Stansted
Express/Skytrain to Liverpool Street Station.

To go to Barking, may I be dropped along the route or I must go first
at Liverpool Str Station, then from there take the tube?

For instance, dropping at Tottenham Hale allow me to reach Barking
easily?

Or exists a better alternative?

Tnx for your feedback

As nobody here has so far pointed out, there's an on-line journey

planner
which is smart enough to look at the various routes; the URL is:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/planmyjourney/

You don't say exactly when you want to travel, so I can't give you more
specific advice, but just looking at the next few journeys indicates

that
changing at Tottenham Hale & Blackhorse Rd. is the fastest (1h 29 min),
while walking from Liverpool St to Fenchurch St would give 1h 35min. It
even considers changing at Hackney (Downs/Central) & W. Ham but that's
even
slower...

I wouldn't pay much attention to those times. For example it allows about

40
minutes to get one stop on the Victoria line from Tottenham Hale to
Blackhorse Road and a similar time to walk 1/2 mile from Liv St to Fen St.
It doesn't even mention the most obvious route of Hammersmith and City

line.

The TfL Journey Planner http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk gives times of
about 1h15 for both the GOBLin from Blackhorse Rd and the H&C from

Liverpool
Street. I would suggest going via Liverpool Street as the frequency is

much
better.

I agree with your conclusion, but not your analysis of the data from the NR
journey planner. The apparently long time allowances for the connections are
due mainly to the infrequent train services concerned - if the trains are
running every half hour, it's obviously better to build in a safety margin,
and so maybe 25 of the 40 minutes for the Victoria Line connection would be
spent just waiting...

IOW, you may well prefer what seems like a longer overall journey if you can
be sure that typical train lateness has little impact on its overall
duration. And maybe one day we'll have terminals on platforms that allow us
to check real-time running en-route ;-)

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)